Sunday, December 9, 2012

Stage 5: Adjourning

For this week's discussion assignment I talked about my experiences of becoming an acting Supervisor for the first time, and also the challenges I faced from becoming a leader of a very dysfunctional center.  A center that was right on the verge of being dismantled, due to numerous issues, and concerns, which in my opinion all really seemed to stem from a lack of leadership, guidance, and most importantly trust.  But in the end, I also talked about some of the greatest experiences I had, not only as a Supervisor, but also being part of a truly amazing team, that also became a very strong and united team.

And it is my experience with this group that I now look for the fifth stage of  Tuckman's Stages, that were developed by Bruce Wayne Tuckman in 1965, adjourning stage.  "In the "adjourning" stage the project is coming to an end and the team members are moving off into different directions.  This stage looks at the team from the perspective of the well-being of the team rather than from the perspective of managing a team through the original four stages of team growth" (Abudi, 2010). t

I definitely feel that this team, or group, has been the hardest one to say goodbye to that I ever had to in my life.  And I think that is because of what we went through together, all the challenges and obstacles we faced, making our team the united and dedicated front we became in the end.  I think when you go through a experience such as this, it makes all the accomplishments and rewards you receive in the end all that more special and appreciated.  And I also feel that groups that go through these kinds of experiences, grow very close, sharing a unique bond, that will definitely remain even after they have moved on or have gone their separate ways"Performing will keep in touch with each other as they have become a very close knit group and there will be sadness at separating and moving on to other projects independently" (Abudi, 2010).

It is also reflecting on these kinds of past experiences of groups and team development that I now imagine and consider how I will adjourn from you, my group of colleagues, as we near the end of our master's degree program.  I also feel this adjourning stage, will also be extremely difficult, especially since we have really become such an important part of each others life, both personally and professionally.  We have shared some of the same challenges and struggles, we have faced as we enter a new chapter in our lives, as student's with the same common goal, the goal of successfully completing our master's degree in early childhood studies.  And even though we might not ever physically meet in life, I know I can honestly say in the end, when it is time to finally say goodbye, I know it will be very difficult.  And that is because we shared so much of ourselves, both personally, and professionally, and we really have become an important part of each others lives, whether we believe it or not.  And I know I can honestly say that I have really learned a lot from each and everyone of you, especially when it comes to teamwork, and sharing one common goal.  The goal of trying to make a difference in the field of early childhood studies...

References:

Abudi, G. (2010). The five stages of team development: A case study. Retrieved from http://www.projectsmart.co.uk/the-five-stages-of-team-development-a-case-study.html


  
   

1 comment:

  1. Dear Sylvia,

    Although, I did not post frequently on your blog entries, I often read and gathered many insights! I appreciated having a colleague with your experience and expertise in our class. Thank you for sharing!

    -Angie

    ReplyDelete